Friday, January 29, 2016

Green Thumb Mittens

I'm a plant killer. I should get that right out of the way, because these mittens are a lie! I can't even keep a spider plant alive. Anyway… mittens!



Now that I live in the cold north, I'm having so much fun knitting things that I'll actually get a chance to use! The other day I got very covetous of the mittens I saw on Wool & Wheel's blog. Since I'm trying not to spend money right now, I scoured Ravelry for a similar, but free, pattern. I came up with Eugenia's Mittens. (Though I'm saving Grove in my pattern folder for when I have the funds!)



The pattern's a little wackily written, but I found it easy enough to follow as a novice mittener (and a fairly new cabler). I still don't like cables, but they're not the worst thing in the world. And once again, I was amazed at how quickly a project knits up when you're using size 7 needles! The world of socks has really warped my mind. I shortened the cuffs a bit because I was afraid of running out of yarn - and as a matter of fact, that's exactly what happened!

I'm still working through stash yarn, but luckily I had this beautiful dried-lavender Brooklyn Tweed. It's the first time I've knitted with this brand - I've been lusting after it for MONTHS, and so I bought a skein of Shelter (colorway Blanket Fort - what a great name!) before the holidays without a project in mind just to see how it knit up. Oh, I love it! It's got a bit of scratch to it - I wouldn't use it for a cowl - but it's incredibly light and squishy, and of course the color variation is to die for. There was quite a bit of vegetable matter, but I kind of like that! It felt like what I would like to spin, if I ever get good enough. 



Of course, my skein didn't go quite far enough, so I had to improvise on the thumbs. Since I didn't have anything remotely matchy color-wise, I decided to have fun with it. I had a bit of green Quince & Co. Owl left over from a hat I made my sister, and texture-wise, it's almost identical! (a little softer.) I can't decide if the end result is ugly or awesome, but I'm pleased with it!

I have a few more fibery things in the works - I took a drop spindle class last week, which was amazing (I'll write about it soon) and it finally got me in the mood to sort out my Country Craftsman wheel, which I've never been able to get working! As of a few days ago, it's spinning like a slightly rickety charm - so more on that soon as well! In the meantime, I'm off to pick up the newest member of my family - A CAT.


No comments:

Post a Comment