Sunday, August 2, 2015

WIP: Jaywalker Socks

As I've gotten back into knitting, I've found myself getting more and more interested in the kind of projects that once had only a utilitarian purpose. The making of basic objects that are now mass-produced fascinates me - wheels of cheese, loaves of bread, and pairs of socks, of course. I like getting back to the more personal focus of spending time and care creating the things that go onto and into our bodies.
Socks, as a project, are just so satisfying! I've gotten seriously obsessed. They're portable, quick, and useful once made (though I find it hard to wear them, honestly. I'm still too precious about them - I can't accept that they're meant to be used!) I've made a few pairs at this point, and I learn so much each time.


Right now, I'm in the middle of my fourth pair (well, I'm still in the middle of my third pair too!) I'm following the Jaywalker pattern, and it's by far my favorite pattern so far! It's easy (no complicated chart to reference) and, if you've chosen the right yarn, it's so fun to watch the zigzags form! The woman at my local yarn store recommended Frolicking Feet as being a very satisfying self-striper (which I've never used before) and she was right! I'm using the colorway "Sailor's Delight" and it's AWESOME.

As I said, this pattern is so easy - the zigs are made by a simple repeat of making extra stitches and then passing stitches over. I guess it could seem monotonous, but I've found that watching the stripes form balances that out. Besides, this is an ideal knit-while-watching-a-movie project - my favorite!



I'm almost done with the first sock. Of course, a fact of sock knitting (and a possible drawback) is that after you finish one, you have to start all over again with the other. Luckily, as I said, I have another sock project going at the same time! Maybe I'll trade off socks indefinitely, and never get bored...

No comments:

Post a Comment